Middlesex Hospital Alliance
Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital Site
Posting #239 – 2021
POSITION TITLE: Clinical Extern ‐ Nurse
Reports to: Patient Care Manager
The clinical extern will be working in the capacity as unregulated health care provider. Nursing clinical externs work in collaboration with a unit nursing team under direct and/or indirect supervision of an appointed registered nursing professional. They may perform pre‐identified Controlled Acts authorized to nursing within the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) of Ontario delegated to them under the supervision of a nursing professional who is authorized to perform them.
Externs will be hired on contract, during which the Extern will work part time hours to a maximum of full‐time hours (37.5 hours per week). The scheduling of these hours will be determined based on unit needs and may include day/evening/night and weekend shifts.
- Nursing Students enrolled in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year of a CNO approved baccalaureate or diploma nursing program
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent academic standing
- Current certificate in Basic Cardiac Life Support required
- Completion of mandatory/required certifications provided via corporate orientation, including extern orientation, and as defined by unit (e.g., Fit Test, WHIMS, AODA, IP&C)
- Demonstrated infection prevention and control practices
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Successful completion of a recent clinical placement in an acute care area preferred
- Students who have successfully completed a recent clinical placement preferred
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Practices under the direct and/or indirect supervision of the nursing professional assigned to them on the unit and in a manner consistent with organizational policies and professional standards, while taking into account CNO guidance for unregulated care providers
- Works with unit nurses to ensure that they have the knowledge, skills and judgment needed to perform all actions/duties.
- Provides assistance with lifting, turning, transferring, transporting and ambulating as per the hospital policy.
- Provides measures to ensure skin integrity and reduce pressure injuries.
- Assists with comfort measures and patient safety by ensuring the environment is clean and tidy and free of hazards.
- Requests assistance with assigned duties whenever in need
- Demonstrates excellent problem‐solving, decision making and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and time‐management skills
- Participates as a team member
*The MHA is a FRAGRANCE FREE environment*
Qualified individuals interested in this opportunity may submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
No Later than March 30, 2022
For further information on this opportunity, please contact:
Meg Sattin at 519.245.5295 extension 5595