Middlesex Hospital Alliance
Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital
Posting #243 -2021
TEMPORARY FULL-TIME NURSE PRACTITIONER (NP) – 9 MONTH TERM
Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital’s community includes the town of Strathroy, the main urban centre of Strathroy-Caradoc Township. The Hospital is only a short drive to London, Sarnia and the beautiful beaches of Lake Huron in Ontario, including Grand Bend and the Pinery Provincial Park.
Reporting to the Vice President Clinical Services/CNO, with clinical practice accountabilities to the Department of Anesthesia, the Nurse Practitioner (NP) works within the framework of advanced nursing practice. The MHA supports the NP’s full scope of practice for clinical care, and the advanced practice role in education, research & administration. The NP collaborates with Anesthesia, Family Doctors, Surgeons, Internists, Nursing staff, Interdisciplinary health team, and associated services to enhance patient care, ensure continuity of care, connect with families and improve outcomes of both inpatient and outpatient populations. The NP provides leadership in the management of various patient populations with the goal of exemplary patient care and positive family experience. The NP will actively support other initiatives and responsibilities as determined by the VP/CNO.
The Nurse Practitioner role has three areas of primary responsibility which include:
- Provision of care to patients requiring pre-surgical anesthetic consults, teaching and preparation. This inter-professional advanced practice role includes clinical decisions and provision of care supporting the anesthesia and surgical services associated with the Pre-Anesthesia Clinic
- Support anesthesia and pain management care and services
- Creating and providing education and support to healthcare providers, as well as pre-operative and post-operative education to surgical patients and their families
- Masters Degree in Nursing (MScN) with Nurse Practitioner (Adult) certificate. NP – Acute Care certificate preferred
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario, RN (EC)
- Completion of approved Controlled Substance education
- Current BLS for Healthcare Providers course: BLS-HCP(C); and ACLS preferred
- Experience working as a Nurse Practitioner in an acute care surgical setting preferred. Or, a minimum five (5) years recent and relevant nursing experience with acute surgical patient population required.
- Experience with pain management preferred
- Demonstrated ability to function independently and collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team
- Strong and demonstrated organizational skills, excellent verbal and written communication and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
- Demonstrated leadership as a change agent and supports advancement of nursing practice within the organization and utilization of evidenced-based guidelines as part of the RNAO Best Practice Spotlight Organization (BPSO) mandate
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and mentorship/preceptorship as required for staff and students. Knowledge of adult learning principles.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel, Internet, Power Chart and GroupWise
- Demonstrated excellence in clinical practice and clinical teaching
- Demonstrated advanced skills in critical thinking, problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution
- Advanced knowledge of, and experience with, professional practice & program development/evaluation tools
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adapt positively to constantly changing clinical situations
- Demonstrated use of theory and research/evidence based outcomes in practice
- Demonstrated knowledge of & commitment to the principles of patient & family-centered care
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to patient and staff safety
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
- Must provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps rubella and varicella (chicken pox) and proof of 2 COVID-19 vaccinations
- Must provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing within the previous 3 months
We foster a culture of patient and staff safety whereby all employees are guided by MHA’s Mission, Vision, Guiding Principles and Code of Conduct.
*The MHA is a FRAGRANCE FREE environment*
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates, as a condition of job offer, would be required to provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector police check (original document) completed in the last 12 months.
Qualified individuals interested in this opportunity may submit a resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 7, 2021Accommodations are available on request for interviews and other selection processes