Middlesex Hospital Alliance is recognizing Breast Cancer Awareness Month. During the month of October our Diagnostic Imaging staff will wear pink each Wednesday in support of Breast Cancer Awareness, and to highlight the importance of early detection through regular breast screening. We have challenged our hospital colleagues and our community partners to join us!
Breast Screening and Breast Assessment
Screening: the Ontario Breast Screening Program (OBSP) is a province wide program that provides high quality OHIP-covered breast screening mammography services. Getting screened regularly with mammography is important because it can find cancer early. Women who meet these eligibility requirements are eligible to self-refer by calling directly the the Ontario Breast Screening Program at our Strathroty Middlesex General Hospital site at 519-246-5200
The OBSP recommends routine breast screening every two years for women aged 50 to 74 if they:
- have no new breast cancer symptoms
- have no personal history of breast cancer
- have no current breast implants
- have not had a mastectomy
- have not had a screening mammogram within the last 12 months
A referral form is needed from your healthcare provider if you are:
- A woman aged 40-49 ,with breast implants or a personal history of breast cancer
- A man with a strong family history of breast cancer
Over 4000 women were screened at Strathroy Middlex General Hospital Last Year.